Can a Paralegal Defend Me in DUI Court in Ontario?


Unfortunately, paralegals in Ontario are not licensed to defend an accused person charged with a hybrid DUI Criminal Code of Canada offence, such as impaired driving, impaired care or control, excess blood alcohol, or refusal to provide a breath sample. These offences have maximum punishments that exceed 6 months in jail, notwithstanding the Crown elects to proceed summarily. You will need to consult with and retain the services of a criminal law lawyer. Visit the Law Society of Upper Canada web site for more information and search under "Questions - The Right Legal Professional".

You may find the following resources helpful:


The Canadian Impaired Driving Information Page


Arrest and Going to Court


Maps to GTA Courthouses


Impaired Driving Technical Discussion  Blog 


Juveniles, Young Offenders, and Youth Court


Recent Reviews and Ratings by Clients




For more information respecting this database or to report misuse contact: Allbiss Lawdata Ltd., 303-470 Hensall Circle, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, L5A 3V4. Allbiss Lawdata Ltd. is not a law firm. The author and the participants make no representation or warranty  whatsoever as to the authenticity and reliability of the information contained herein. Advertisement. Any lawyers listed at this site do not practice in association. WARNING: All information contained herein is provided for the purpose of providing basic information only and should not be construed as formal legal advice. The authors disclaim any and all liability resulting from reliance upon such information. You are strongly encouraged to seek professional legal advice before relying upon any of the information contained herein. Legal advice should be sought directly from a properly retained lawyer or attorney.


Warning: This is NOT a government web site. The information provided herein has NOT been provided by a government. This information has been provided by a lawyer or attorney or student, for the purpose of providing basic information about the laws and regulations enacted by a government and the government offices that apply laws and regulations, and for the purpose of encouraging discussion and facilitating proper legal challenges related to the application of laws and regulations made by government. Citizens always have the right to challenge government. Citizens need independent information not provided by government about government offices, phone numbers, locations, and their services or lack thereof. Please note that the information provided may not be up to date. It is your responsibility to meet with a lawyer or attorney in person to get complete advice. Information provided by some government sites may also be sometimes out of date, sometimes incomplete, or sometimes focused on protection of government politicians, officers, policy initiatives, and interests. It is essential that you retain and instruct an independent lawyer or attorney to represent YOUR interests and inform you accordingly.